Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Where Do You See Yourself in 5 Years?

This question always paralyzed me when presented.  I had no idea.  I am not and have never been a visionary, so answering it always felt fake and forced. Like some test question that I would never get right.

I still am not sure I could answer this question, even in my present state of life that is stable and purposeful.  Because to be honest, who can ever foresee the way God will move?

I moved home to Louisville from Dallas exactly five years ago this month.  February 10th. A day, that I have yet to forget.  I can still relive that day, the day that I finally gave up control and begged God to take over because I had destroyed my life with one bad decision after another.

On that day, I could have never imagined that God's plans for me were even bigger than my dreams.  The question isn't, where am I 5 years later, instead it's a declaration...

LOOK WHAT GOD DID!

Look at the life He restored.
Look at the woman He redeemed.
Look at the marriage He built.
Look at the child He gave.
Look at the ministry He created.
Look at the prayers He answered.
Look at the prayers He didn't.
Look at the story He is writing.
Look at the glory He is getting!

One of the most important lessons I've learned in these years is that praying the will of God means being ready for anything.  Praying the will of God is terrifying and beautiful all at once.  For me it has brought the purest joy and the deepest grief. 

It meant walking away from a lot of things, sometimes things I loved and wanted. 
It meant walking away from people.  People who weren't good for me and some who I thought were. 
It meant praising God in hospital rooms were babies lay motionless on monitors.
It meant saying no to lifetime dreams when doors were closing all around me. 

But, LOOK WHAT GOD DID!

It meant finding the love of a man God gave me after a decision of obedience.
It meant giving birth to a sweet little boy named Brooks.
It meant giving up my new job for my dream job.
It meant living each day with the purest trust that God's will for my life is unpredictable yet safe.

So where will I be in 5 years?

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what God does.

No comments:

Post a Comment